• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newbie2wheel

newbie2wheel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

After several years I am looking to upgrade my crank and group set on my Cannondale Synapse from the original Tiagra.  My questions are about the external bearings cups on the crank.  If I move to another crank set and bottom bracket will I have to make some adjustment for the overall width of the Tiagra external bearings?

Everything I have looked at on line, FSA whatever, has pressed in bearings that do not have the 1/2 inch external cup.  Do the corresponding cranksets allow for the narrower BB30?

Will corresponding derailuers, Ultegra, Dura-Ace, also allow for the changes in chain ring position?

My other option was to buy a new bike but there is nothing wrong with the frame of the Synapse and I have upgraded most everything else, wheels, brakes, saddle.  I can probably get most everything I want to upgrade for less than $1,000.  Then the question becomes do I have a bike that would only resell for $500 that has $2000 of upgrades on it?

Thanks for any direction and or advice.

#2 itsthejash

itsthejash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

I think if you are wanting to go FSA then you would be wanting a GXP bottom bracket from what you say. BB30 would be press fit into the frame.

Not really advice, but if you are looking to stick with Shimano and don't care too much about going 11 speed. . .I've got a Dura-Ace 7900 group I have been thinking about getting rid of since I don't really ride my road bike anymore.

#3 newbie2wheel

newbie2wheel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Not sure if the 11 speed cassette will fit on my Easton hub, need to check.  How much? How many miles are on the 7900?

#4 itsthejash

itsthejash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

Sorry man, should of been more clear. 7900 is 10 speed so it shouldn't be an issue.

Probably 1500-2000 miles, everything is in pretty good shape.
DA 7900 levers, brakes, cranks, 105 cassette and BB. Have the DA chain also, but not sure if you would want a used chain.

Send me a PM if interested and I can take a couple pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users