5 replies to this topic

#1 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:boating, biking(obviously), water, dirt

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

I had to work during the Bike & Outdoor Expo. Did anyone check it out? Will it return next year?
I like propulsion.

#2 James75

James75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, running, paddling, and photography

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

Yes, it was pretty good.  It was a little like the old bike swap that they had in previous years but added some booths on cycling, running, kayaking, and other outdoor activities.  It seemed like a good mix and a really good turnout considering the weather was questionable.  I sure hope they continue it every year.

#3 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:boating, biking(obviously), water, dirt

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Good to hear. Thanks.
I like propulsion.

#4 jischr

jischr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

I thought it was pretty good also.  A little sticker shock at the $12 entry fee but everything cost more.  Next year I'll pre-order a ticket.  I've only been to two other shows in the past.  Seemed like there were more individuals unloading their surplus back then so you could pick up a used wheel set from 3-4 booths.  Only remember 1 or 2 this year.  But hey, what else is there to do on a cold wet day in January.

#5 JasonZ

JasonZ

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1050 posts
  • Interests:single speed, KONA bikes, shreddin the gnOr, GTF, scrolls, oontz oontz music!!!, horror movies, the woods and the goods

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

View Postjischr, on 22 January 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

I thought it was pretty good also.  A little sticker shock at the $12 entry fee but everything cost more.  Next year I'll pre-order a ticket.  I've only been to two other shows in the past.  Seemed like there were more individuals unloading their surplus back then so you could pick up a used wheel set from 3-4 booths.  Only remember 1 or 2 this year.  But hey, what else is there to do on a cold wet day in January.

I imagine you saw less individuals with their own booths selling off basement remnants because of the booth pricing. $120 is double the price for a booth compared to the most recent previous swap. It is/was my reasoning for not loading all the surplus into the van and attending. Notice that the words "swap meet" weren't even in the title this year. From the feedback I got from a few folks that did have booths, it sounds like the event was better for attendees than exhibitors.

#6 James75

James75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, running, paddling, and photography

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

My first bike swap was many years ago at an old Kmart in the Webster Groves area.  Now those were the days.  Most of the booths this year that were selling were shops, however it seemed like there were a few individuals.  I also missed the bike corral, where  you could bring a bike to sell for a low fee.  I think it would be cool to get an outdoor swap sometime during the warmer months where its more individuals clearing out their unused gear and talking bikes.  I known the big problem with that is scheduling around racing.  I did enjoy the show this year, but I miss the good old swap meet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users