• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Django

Django

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

Are there any particular areas that lend themselves to Everesting in the StL metro area? Looking for a place with either wiiiide roads or no traffic (read: safe when the 6+ hour befuddlement arrives), and a reasonable elevation gain vs distance vs grade. Don't want to ride 100 foot gain 290+ times.

Thanks.
"Why don't we all just calm down."
-Charles Foster Ofdensen, Manager, Dethklok

#2 dwarfed centipede

dwarfed centipede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Hunters Ford Rd would be my pick.  You can go up and down the backside and front side to keep things more interesting and rarely any traffic out there.

#3 Django

Django

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

I was looking for segment out there (on Strava) so I could get the lay of the land. Alas, I'll have to make the drive out there as there is no segment yet. Thanks for the intel.
"Why don't we all just calm down."
-Charles Foster Ofdensen, Manager, Dethklok

#4 carlosflanders

carlosflanders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

I did an everesting a few months ago in Peoria.

My main takeaways:

Choose a quiet weekend and a road with little traffic
Never go above your threshold. Never let HR go above about 140 bpm and make sure it recovers every time.
Spin, spin, spin. Never force it.
Drink lots of pickle juice.
Make sure your fit is dialled in.
Be close to your peak of fitness for the year.

I did mine solo, saw two cyclists all day.
I didn't have any problem to finish but did get bored out of my skull and will never do it again.
Didn't meet any personal demons.
Biggest mistake I made was not changing my bibs. Fresh bibs halfway through would have saved some massive welts on my ass.
After 12 hours all sorts of minor annoying niggles began to flare up. Shoulder and knee pain that I get occasionally got worse but were still tolerable. Most surprising was unexpected tendinitis in one ankle that took several months and a change in saddle height to go away.
I should also have changed my cleats a couple of weeks before and made sure that they were dialled in. I think mine were a bit worn and that aggravated things.

Used a 38* 30 gear as I didn't have a compact crank, a 36 T chainring would have been a bit better though.
I also used two gps devices, charging one in the car as backup.

Recovery was ok, a bit tired for a couple of days afterward and just easy rides for the next few days.

#5 johnamus

johnamus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hunter's Ford - Wengler is a good loop for elevation gain.  Other loops could be made using Bouquet and Bassett.  Or the Babler loop for wide lanes, low traffic, and decent elevation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users