CX Tire Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 supradude

supradude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, pizza, beer.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

I currently have Schwable Sammy Slick 28 x 1.35 front and rear on my CX bike and really was pleased with them.  Unfortunately my front tire has something in it which is just too small to find and keeps puncturing tubes.

I am looking for something similar and will just replace both tires.  I don't race cross (although it is not out of the realm of possibility).  I typically use the bike for a light road use, but mostly gravel rides like Busch, Peat's, Katy and some light singletrack like Creve Coeur Park.

Budget is preferred to be around $30 - $40 per tire.  Suggestions appreciated.
Pizza is life.  Beer helps.

#2 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:boating, biking(obviously), water, dirt

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

I currently have the Schwalbe Rocket Rons (700x33) on my CX bike (came with it). They are more knob than I prefer, unless I'm doing a CX race.

I have ridden the Clement X'plor MSO (700X40). They are perfect for gravel riding like the Katy Trail and wide enough for something a little more chunky. With a closer knob configuration that if comfortable for some road riding. $42 per.

I have the Maxxis Ramblers (700x40) in my Amazon que for the near future. They are a bit more aggressive than the Clements, but not as knobby as the Rocket Rons and wider for a more absorbent ride. However they are higher than your stated budget, at $50 per.
I like propulsion.

#3 rich pierce

rich pierce

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4614 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

WTB AllTerrain are very durable tires with decent low rolling resistance and some side knobs that grip decent in grass.  I rode the heck out of those tires 15 to 10 years ago.  Cannot recall flatting on them.  And about $30 for 700 x 37.  Not suitable for wet sloppy or slick conditions.
Isaiah 40:31 Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users