CX bike question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 James75

James75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

I'm planning to pick up a cx bike sometime this year and trying the Bubba series in the fall.  It seems that most of the new bikes have disk brakes.  But I've been watching a lot of the world cup and championship races on youtube, and notice a lot of the top pros are still using canti brakes, even on muddy courses.  I know on the MTB I love the disks and would never go back to rim brakes.  But why are so many pros still running the cantis?  My only thought is the weight penalty of disks.

#2 rich pierce

rich pierce

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4614 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

I guess the latest disk brakes have solved this problem but in the past it was possible to completely wear out disk brake pads during a muddy race.  Not possible to wear out canti pads in 5 muddy races. It's possible weight is an issue too but I'm not sure.
Isaiah 40:31 Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

#3 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

I believe until very recently UCI banned disc brakes. Jeremy Powers has bikes he runs in the States with disc brakes and bikes he runs elsewhere with canti brakes.
I like propulsion.

#4 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

The Bubba series is awesome! I participated in a few of the races in 2015 after I bought my CX bike. They were all challenging and a total blast. I am going to attempt to do all the races in the series this fall.
I like propulsion.

#5 James75

James75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.  The races I was watching, some guys were riding cantis and others disks, so it must not have been a rule thing.  But the extra wear from mud and sand makes sense.  And I'm really looking forward to the races.  I've done some mountain bike racing the last few years, and had so much fun and made some good friends.  But living in IL, so many of the races are such a long drive.  Most of the Bubba and Wild Track races are closer.  Now I just have to convince my wife why I need a fourth bike.  :)

#6 zez

zez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

CX bikes also make great katy trail bikes, an extra road bike if you put road tires on, good on gravel, etc...  Lots of good reasons to have one.