Weekend gravel rides

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kracko

Kracko

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

Any group gravel rides that take place on the weekend?  While its fun talking to myself for 2 hours I would much rather be in the company of others who are suffering the same misery.  Thanks.

with a hammer I can fix anything

#2 bbelnitsuj

bbelnitsuj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

Can we also post links/directions to some quality gravel paths? I think that would be a neat way to develop some interest in this rapidly-developing segment of cycling.

#3 Kracko

Kracko

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

Here is some information for you: http://forum.gorctra...c/4175-mileage/

If you are looking for more fun: http://www.route66bi...tyjoefondo1.pdf

and more: https://www.bikeiowa...s-it so-special

I saw a large Momentum Group on Saturday at Busch, Hopefully one of those chaps will post up some info on their fun..

#4 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

I'd be game to start a weekly ride on Saturday mornings. Although I'll need to get some tights, as I don't typically ride outdoors all that much in the winter...

#5 itsthejash

itsthejash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

I've never been out to Busch, how is it when its wet? Worth making a trip out there or should I wait until another time?

#6 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Something on Saturday mornings sounds good to me too.

#7 Kracko

Kracko

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

View Postitsthejash, on 08 January 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

I've never been out to Busch, how is it when its wet? Worth making a trip out there or should I wait until another time?
Save the gas,aggravation and misery, it SUCKED TODAY, 1:20 minutes of riding on marshmellows, the new gravel combined with wet nasty heavy snow and wind sucked.

#8 DirtRoadRunner

DirtRoadRunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Gravel options close to STL are limited. Most of the close gravel roads (within 1 hour) are typically covered in loose, crushed limestone gravel, which isn't that fun to ride on, and the roads are frankly not that scenic.

The best roads, by far and away, are located in Missouri and are located south of I-44. I spend a lot of time riding gravel roads (solo) in Washington, Iron, and Reynolds counties To reach these areas will require 1.5 to 2 hours of driving. Crawford County also has some nice roads, but I don't know them that well. Outside of the group rides put on by Route 66 Bicycles in Rolla (Dirty Joe and Death by Gravel) there are no organized rides on these roads, that I'm aware of. These roads are often smooth hardpack with awesome scenery, practically zero traffic, and some very challenging hills. They are incredibly fun to ride, and also offer options to add in singletrack or ATV trails. They are easily more scenic than any road in Iowa or Kansas.

There are several great spots to park and make a gravel loop - of practically any distance. Those are Berryman Campground (Washington County), Hazel Creek (also Washington County), the DD-32 trailhead for the Ozark Trail (Iron County), and my personal favorite, Sutton Bluff Campground in Reynolds County. Grab a good map (Forest Service or USGS topo quads, avaiable for free online) and go ride. Be aware that these roads are very remote, have sparse cell service, and few houses or passers-by. You definitely want to carry more food, water, and tools than you would in other areas.

#9 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'm still game to get a weekly ride started. Even if it's not all that scenic. I can save that for those special occasions when I feel like making a journey south of stl.

#10 The Barryman

The Barryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:16 PM

I may be doing my local gravel ride this Sunday. I start at the upper section of Creve Couer park, ride a loop around the MTB trail, down to Page extension, to Katy, out to Hamburg, to Busch, do a loop or two, down to Lost Valley, ride the double track loop, out to Duke, Schlusberg, Terry Matson Rd., ect. Then ride back. It is usually around 100 miles and has hella' climbing. If any one is interested, post up.

#11 Kracko

Kracko

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

I'm looking at putting together a more formal gravel ride for next fall-winter on Saturday mornings.  To keep things lively would anyone be opposed to riding in Illinois? SIUE and Edwardsville (MCT) has some great gravel-asphalt-mixy paths, Could be fun.  If not we can keep it relegated to Busch and St. Charles,

#12 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

Not at all! The more exposure to different courses I think the better.