My first CX race!

Bubba cross cyclocross race big shark vomit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

I participated in my first CX race yesterday. It was the #6 Bubba Cross race, at Queeny Park, and it was totally awesome!

I kept hearing people say that cyclocross is "suffering for an hour." I also kept thinking, "It's a bike race. Bikes are fun to ride." Well, both are true. It was fun, but it was grueling. I even witnessed a fellow rider throwing up on the side of the course, mid race. When I finished I felt like I had just sprinted a half marathon. My back hurt, my quads were on fire, my hands were a little numb. But, if you asked me (a couple hours later) if I would redo the race right then, I would immediately put my helmet on.

As it was my first race ever I cannot compare the course to any other, but I thought it was very well done. There were some really cool 'flow-y' sections and some great fast turns that tested my amateur cornering skills. There was one hill section that after the second trip up, began to look like Everest. I was surprised by the fact there was no dismount obstacles on the course (unless you count the mountainous hill, that I admittedly ran up on the last two laps).

Overall, I placed on the low end of my category, but I finished. And that was important to me. I definitely came away from the race an improved cyclist. I pushed my bike and my skills further than I ever have. I became less afraid to attempt a turn faster than I thought I could. I also recognized that I need to train more if I want to improve my place on the results.

But, the most important thing is I had fun and I can't wait till my next race!

Thank you Big Shark. Thank you, to all the volunteers. Thank you, to all the friendly people and fellow riders. Everyone made my experience a good one.    ...The weather was nice too.
I like propulsion.

#2 rich pierce

rich pierce

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4614 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

You've got the bug now!
Isaiah 40:31 Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

#3 bulldog

bulldog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

I have some videos on my FB page from my first CX race at Susan park. Had much fun riding my mtb. bike around and seeing how it's done. A big thank you to the gang that puts Bubba Cross on every year.
Good Health is the slowest possible rate of dying. Make every day count!

#4 theric85

theric85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

that second queeny race was a treat! that down hill on the back side and Scott made that up hill just for me, i know it, he always does that! grueling 40 minutes. cross is always a great time. im always feeling good last lap, first two laps legs kill me, next two laps back kills me then the last lap im uslally good, then its all over. haha.