Peloton Magazine article on Gateway Cup - "Meet us in St. Louis"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Humes

Eric Humes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet....

http://pelotonmagazi...loton-st-louis/

#2 chesca

chesca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

Is it just me or did this article kind of make St Louis sound lame? Or should I say it definitely wasn't a good representation of the city. Almost a negative?

#3 Barry Bean

Barry Bean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

I couldn't help wondering why they couldn't find a restaurant.

#4 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:01 PM

I can name 10+ amazing restaurants within each part of town they were in. So... either they are incompetent and have never used urban spoon, or just lazy.

#5 zez

zez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:34 PM

I'm wondering what the taco place is.

#6 steveo314

steveo314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

Wow way to slam St Louis. The way they mentioned the unamed taco joint makes it sound like they don't know how to use Urban Spoon, phone a taxi, or use conversation skills.

#7 steveo314

steveo314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

Email sent to author (not kidding):

Dear Andy:

First off, thank for visiting the wonderful city of Saint Louis. We may not be a large city like say Chicago or New York but we have a lot to offer in a small package. Second, I'm glad to read a good article that gave quick, but good details of the Gateway Cup day-by-day.

Finally, if you didn't want to travel far to find good grub at such a late hour there are countless ways to find places. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you because it sounds like you at least get to travel the country. Saint Louis has a lot to offer if you're willing to hunt it out or ask locals where stuff is. Yes there may not be restaurant after restaurant of places to eat at any time of the day no matter where you may find yourself. But there is food to be consumed. Next time you visit a city plan out more than what your host gives you to do. It sounds like you had access to a car while here.

In short this is just my advice and I'm not telling you to scratch St Louis off or your list of places to cover. Just be more open to finding places so your trips aren't so limited to a small radius of a venue.

Regards,
Steve from Saint Louis

#8 Thomas13ss

Thomas13ss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Tough crowd. saint  Louis has some nice restaurants. The problem is dinner service ends early 9pm on a friday. Second these guys are broke. However It  surprises me this article made it to print being so negative.

Thomas

#9 steveo314

steveo314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Reply from author:

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your note. I absolutely loved St Louis and plan on coming back an exploring a lot more.

The article was more a retelling of how things sometimes go at an away bike race. When are excited,

tired, hungry and lost all at the same time.

Thanks for reading.

AB

#10 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Clearly not the most intellectual person in the world. His grammar is rather substandard for a journalist... It all makes sense now!

#11 eblok9

eblok9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

I have noticed that this lazy writing style is popular among bike racing blogs. I guess the authors and readers think it is cute, funny, or gives a 'realistic experience' to american crit culture.

I'm not a fan.

#12 steveo314

steveo314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

So I'm guessing my 6 and 3 yr old children could be journalists these days

#13 Django

Django

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:20 AM

If you're interested -- and you may not be given the article on StL -- all USAC-licensed riders get a free subscription to the electronic version of Peloton mag. Details can be found in the member benefits section of the USAC website or here: https://www.usacycli...efits/index.php.
"Why don't we all just calm down."
-Charles Foster Ofdensen, Manager, Dethklok

#14 Mike S.

Mike S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2189 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

So long Michael S. Murray. Saturday rides from Ladue Middle School w/ The St. Louis Cyclones, seeing you at races and all over town, will be remembered.
Please save me a seat.