Speedplay Syzr

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Bean

Barry Bean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

Anyone using these? I love the float on my road Speedplays, and I'm giving serious thought to switching my CX/gravel/winter/backup bike to something with more float than SPDs. I've read lots of reviews online, but am interested in getting some real world feedback from people who've ridden then for a while.

BB

#2 tim

tim

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

No personal reviews around here yet.  I've stocked them at the store since the moment they were available, but no takers yet.  Still pretty new, so it might take a bit before there is anything concrete on it.  If anyone gives me feedback, I'll post it.

#3 pwork

pwork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

Slightly edited with my latest thoughts from a review I put on mtbr:

I've been a avid user of eggbeaters for cx and mtb, and have used zeros on the road for years. Was training for the OT100 and started getting some knee pain on the cx bike.  I thought I'd give the SYZR a try.  I've been running a set for 5+ months now swapping it between my cx and mtb. I've got ~ 750 miles on the cx bike with great results in all conditions (wet, gravel, dry etc, but no "cx race" conditions). 300+ miles on the MTB with the OT100 thrown in with experience in all conditions.

Pros:
-Dial out the float just like zeros
-Egg beater like ease of release in all but the worst wet-clay-slop environment
-Better retention than egg beaters on upstroke (for the SS'rs out there)
-Better shoe stability than egg beaters

Neutral:
-Harder to engage, but more positive feedback that your in than egg beaters (closer to spd's)
-More maintenance required (same if you are used to zero's).

Cons:
-Mud shedding is worse than egg beaters. I expected this, but hoped for the best (see more below)
-Heavier. But, this is due to a more substantial pedal that helps with a lot of the issues I had with the egg beaters.

The caking mud that our trails are made of (in so. il.)does not agree with these pedals in obviously wet conditions, making the pedals much harder to engage and disengage...however, I shouldn't have been on this trail in those conditions...thought that it'd be dry, but the horses had damaged the trail so it was holding water...lesson learned. I don't like riding in the wet, but sometimes it happens.

In the OT, the creek crossings and sand made the pedals much harder to engage, but an hour later they were mostly back to normal.  Disengagement was harder too, but still not bad.  I have done 0 maintenance on them since, and work fine.  I plan to race cx this weekend.  Suspect that dismounts will be no issue, getting clipped back smoothly will be interesting.  Will take shoes and eggbeaters to any CX race that has had rain prior to the event.

All in all I'm happy with the pedals. Are the perfect, no, but they solved a lot of ergonomic issues I've had. .

#4 Barry Bean

Barry Bean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

Thanks. Disappointed to hear they gunk up in Mud (to be fair, so do SPDs), but encouraging otherwise. Is the float as free and frictionless as with the Speedplay road pedals?

#5 pwork

pwork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yes.  As with the zero's, you need to lube the cleats periodically to keep them working their best.  They let you know when they need love.  Basically, every time I lube the chain, I lube the cleats.