Jump to content


Dirt drop bar? anyone use one?

cyclocross CX dirt drop bar

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

I saw a funky drop bar today with flared drops. Did some research and found out it was a "dirt drop bar." Looks like a style I might like. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with them. Good/bad? Since I got my CX bike, I like using the hoods mainly but thought the wide drops on a dirt bar might give more control. I have limited experience with any drop bar so I'm learning.

Attached Thumbnails

  • download.jpg

I like propulsion.

#2 itsthejash

itsthejash

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:12 AM

I've got a set of Salsa Woodchippers on a Surly Crosscheck. It's set up more towards touring and they are OK, pretty comfortable but a little strange to me. The new Cowchipper bar looks pretty good to me though.

#3 steveo314

steveo314

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

I just picked up a pair. Haven't got to install them yet. I've wanted a pair since I saw the GT Grade.

#4 rich pierce

rich pierce

    Elite Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4614 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

I always get in the drops whenever on rough ground. Less likely to lose grip on bars. Learned that over in Illinois at that dirt track.
Isaiah 40:31 Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

#5 2Ninr

2Ninr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

Roddy had those. He doesn't anymore

#6 wesboyce

wesboyce

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:17 AM

As itsthejash said, those bars are really common on bikes that are used for touring. Look up bikes that have been used on the Tour Divide and I'd be willing to bet most of them have bars like that.
Wes Boyce

#7 JasonZ

JasonZ

    Elite Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

View Postwesboyce, on 07 October 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

As itsthejash said, those bars are really common on bikes that are used for touring. Look up bikes that have been used on the Tour Divide and I'd be willing to bet most of them have bars like that.

I think more of them rock flat bars with some aero attachments.

@curtiseddie- The Salsa Cowbell bars are a similar bar but with less flare. Maybe a bit more suitable for CX.

#8 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'd have to agree with Wes. Since the staple of mtb touring has become the salsa fargo which come equipped with the woodchipper bars, most people tend to prefer those for bikepacking. This is why they are more commonly seen on bikes suitable for bikepacking epics such as the tour divide. Josh Kato and Jay Petervary both rock the woodchippers, and have won the TD multiple times.

#9 JasonZ

JasonZ

    Elite Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostCovertOps51510, on 07 October 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'd have to agree with Wes. Since the staple of mtb touring has become the salsa fargo which come equipped with the woodchipper bars, most people tend to prefer those for bikepacking. This is why they are more commonly seen on bikes suitable for bikepacking epics such as the tour divide. Josh Kato and Jay Petervary both rock the woodchippers, and have won the TD multiple times.

Really?! Cause I'd have to agree with the MAJORITY of pictures on a google image search of Tour Divide, as well as a MAJORITY of the pictures on the Tour Divide Facebook page. Which show most riders with MTB bars and aero attachments. As does an image search of bikepacking.

While Jay Petervary(sponsored by Salsa) may have won multiple times, Josh Kato (not sponsored by Salsa) has won only once. He had to bail the previous year due to an endo on the bike with the bike crashing down on him. He was barely able to get his left foot on the pedal after doing so. Prior to that he hadn't raced since his 20s. And, he bought a Fargo cause his wife already had a Vaya and he wanted something similar.

Once again, try doing some research before you start typing to support your own opinion. (like when people list brand new cranksets for more $$$ than YOU think they should)

In conclusion to the OP, if you're looking for some bars for CX racing, since this is the Cyclocross section of the forum, I'd suggest the Cowbells. But if Tour Divide is what you have in mind, by all means, try the Woodchippers. But, I'd bet you'd prefer some MTB bars with aero attachments like the majority of the racers.

#10 borders

borders

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

What about the Cowbell and WoodChipper offspring.... CowChipppers?
Hunter

#11 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

View Postitsthejash, on 06 October 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

I've got a set of Salsa Woodchippers on a Surly Crosscheck. It's set up more towards touring and they are OK, pretty comfortable but a little strange to me. The new Cowchipper bar looks pretty good to me though.

View Postborders, on 08 October 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

What about the Cowbell and WoodChipper offspring.... CowChipppers?

Yes, I think the cowchipper is exactly what I'm looking for. The cowbell seems too close to what I currently have, the woodchipper is wider than I want. The cowchipper is a good meet in the middle.  

I tried riding in the drops as much as possible today (no trail, just forest park). I can see why I would need to raise the bar a bit. I would also like the swept out bend for better control.
I like propulsion.

#12 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

Soo defensive JZ. I wasn't trying to say your point was moot, rather just point out the fact that an array of people have won the TD using drops.

#13 JasonZ

JasonZ

    Elite Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostCovertOps51510, on 08 October 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

Soo defensive JZ. I wasn't trying to say your point was moot, rather just point out the fact that an array of people have won the TD using drops.


Your position of an array of people winning TD on Woodchippers isn't even accurate. I've found nothing stating JP as a TD winner. Just as having the fastest ITT since 2012. Until now. The recorded winner for 2012 is Ollie Whalley. If you don't show up on race day, you won't be considered THE winner. Also, if you look at pics of the winner since 2008, the array of people have won on MTB bars, wait for it.......with aero attachments. Women included. Woodchippers didn't even exist til 08/09.

Google is a very helpful tool. You should try using it.

#14 CovertOps51510

CovertOps51510

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

Jason, as a bikepacker myself I love your enthusiasm and dedication to the sport. Unfortunately this is a cyclocross thread so I won't fall victim to continuing the debate about the tour divide.

Also, thanks for the tip about google. I'll make sure to reference it going forward, since it is the source of all truths... just like wikipedia ;)

#15 JasonZ

JasonZ

    Elite Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostCovertOps51510, on 08 October 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Jason, as a bikepacker myself I love your enthusiasm and dedication to the sport. Unfortunately this is a cyclocross thread so I won't fall victim to continuing the debate about the tour divide.

Also, thanks for the tip about google. I'll make sure to reference it going forward, since it is the source of all truths... just like wikipedia ;)

Glad I could help you see the light!