Bangert Island, fast and fun

bangert island cyclocross trail katy trail beginner cyclocross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

I just got back from riding Bangert Island trail. Conditions were dry and not too busy (I only saw one other rider and only three small groups of hkers). It was fun and pretty fast. Not very long, but fun enough to run the loop multiple times. I would say this is a perfect track for beginner cyclocrossers (like myself) getting used to this type of bike (I am accustomed to MTB smothness, so it was a 'vibrative' ride). I may need to reduce tire pressure next time. The only spot I had to dismount was when I came to a downed tree (about 18"-22" in diameter).  The section of trail closest to the river is very sandy. My narrow tires spun-out a few times. Overall it wasn't too challenging, but I enjoyed it.

If you want to add some straight mileage to your ride before/after, just hop onto the Katy Trail (which you have to cross to get to Bangert Island).
I like propulsion.

#2 zez

zez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:02 AM

I live near Bangert so sometimes I ride my cx bike to it, then take the katy and page to creve Couer Park and do a lap of Bootleggers before heading home, maybe hitting bangert again, depending on how beat I am.

#3 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

I just checked the route on a map. That is a great idea. Thanks.
I like propulsion.

#4 reno.peterson

reno.peterson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

Great place!!! Did ya get into the little backside technical and rooted trail? Lots of fun too!!! If you get really ambitious head out to Weldon Spring, up the Hamburg trail to Lost Valley and CX the drop in, climb and fire road through and down the middle!!! Tons of little combo rides out in that whole area!!!

#5 steveo314

steveo314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

I haven't been on Bangert since April. The flooding in June(?) did a number on it. It is an awesome speed trail. Cyclocross or MTB.

Has anyone tried Indian Camp Creek in Wenztville?

#6 forumhandle

forumhandle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

View Poststeveo314, on 05 October 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

... Has anyone tried Indian Camp Creek in Wenztville?

The ~2.5 mile-ish "flat section" along the creek is Cx bike friendly, floods often, and has various sand deposits on it.  There's a spot or two you might spin out on an SS, but you have lots of tight, twisty sections also.  Two wheel drifts are common during the 3/6/9 Hr Endurance (mtb) race, so head out there if that sounds appealing.

Once you cross the park road (#4 on the GORC map @ http://gorctrails.co...dian-camp-creek) you are better off on a mtb -  due to rocks, exposed roots, etc.

#7 steveo314

steveo314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

View Postforumhandle, on 05 October 2015 - 08:54 PM, said:

View Poststeveo314, on 05 October 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

... Has anyone tried Indian Camp Creek in Wenztville?

The ~2.5 mile-ish "flat section" along the creek is Cx bike friendly, floods often, and has various sand deposits on it.  There's a spot or two you might spin out on an SS, but you have lots of tight, twisty sections also.  Two wheel drifts are common during the 3/6/9 Hr Endurance (mtb) race, so head out there if that sounds appealing.

Once you cross the park road (#4 on the GORC map @ http://gorctrails.co...dian-camp-creek) you are better off on a mtb -  due to rocks, exposed roots, etc.

I may try the flat section. Haven't been out to any of the dirt trails since I sold my MTB back in the spring.

#8 pip

pip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

I don't find Bangert to be much fun on a mountain bike.  On my CX bike, however, it's a blast.  You really have to think about your line and be light on the bike.  It's a great addition to a couple hours on the Katy and close to home.

#9 steveo314

steveo314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

Bangert is good for MTB bike guys who took a couple months off like winter or who had injury heal time and need to get loosened back up. It is a perfect CX track.