First CX bike

Focus Mares ax Cyclecross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:15 PM

Picked up my first cyclecross bike yesterday. Focus Mares AX 105. Can't wait to get it on a trail. Any advice for a first timer? I've only ever ridden mountains.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150929_174841.jpg
  • 20150929_174852.jpg
  • 20150929_175002.jpg
  • 20150929_174921.jpg

I like propulsion.

#2 cleeland

cleeland

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3829 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

Best bet is to go to a practice. Castlewood or Forest Park.  Not sure the days/times of Castlewood, but Forest Park is Tues/Thurs after 5 on the hillside behind the Steinberg rink.
Winner in absentia: '09 Moonlight Ramble

#3 zez

zez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

Bangert Island is fun on a CX bike

#4 youngdan

youngdan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

Cliff Cave upper trails are outstanding on a cx bike. The Tuesday fopo practices have moved to Kenrick Seminary for the rest of the year, Thursdays are still in fopo.

#5 zez

zez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

Lots of fun gravel roads to ride around Weldon Springs too. Hamburg Trail to Katy to Matson Hill Road, Callaway Fork Road, Lost Valley Middle Climb.

#6 itsboz

itsboz

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3011 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

I'm now disqualified from giving anyone tips on riding.  :-(
Craig Basler

#7 SunnyD

SunnyD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:55 AM

I ride anywhere there is grass (not that kind of grass). I've even entertained the neighbors by running up and down the hill in my front yard post ride carrying my bike. Really any neighborhood park is perfect. Bonus points if you terrorize the deer. If you want trails, go to Sherman Beach specifically. Creve Coeur Lake Park mountain bike trials are also rideable on a cross bike.

#8 geo

geo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostSunnyD, on 02 October 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

I ride anywhere there is grass (not that kind of grass). I've even entertained the neighbors by running up and down the hill in my front yard post ride carrying my bike. Really any neighborhood park is perfect. Bonus points if you terrorize the deer. If you want trails, go to Sherman Beach specifically. Creve Coeur Lake Park mountain bike trials are also rideable on a cross bike.

Sometimes the deer fight back, not always fun to terrorize them.  I have a broken shifter somewhere that attests to that.  The clinic I went to brought up another good spot to train;  anywhere they have rows of small trees or shrubs planted is a good place to practice tight turns at speed.  You could spend half an hour doing figure eights up and down a row of them and do a lot of good.

#9 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

I rode a "section" of the foerst park trail (singletrack between forest park pkwy and kingshighway), but couldn't find the rest. It will definitely take some getting used to riding off road without fat tires and front suspension. I'm going to try out creve coeur or bangert island this weekend.

Geo, how was the clinic? Informative? Where/through who?
I like propulsion.

#10 geo

geo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

It was through Team Revolution, I found it informative, broke down mounts and dismounts well.  Also we rode the course and stopped at problem sections.  I believe there is a clinic before one of the Bubba races as well.  

I do also highly suggest the VP dirt crit track at the Maramec Recreation area on a cx bike.

#11 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Morning ride through Forest Park.  (I need some road tires for this)

Attached Thumbnails

• zoo2.jpg

I like propulsion.