New to Cross, where to start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#16 Barry Bean

Barry Bean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

skatemo, on 23 September 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'm also interested in trying cyclocross and had a few questions...

3.  Everything I read online talks about mud.  Do you walk away completely covered after most of the races, or is the mud more of a weather limiting factor?  The only reason I ask is because it seems like it would become a relatively expensive sport if you are completely soaked in mud after every race.  That begins to take a toll on clothing, equipment, etc.

Thanks for the help...

At some point, you have to decide whether you bought your bike to ride or to look at. Mud, gravel, scratches, and the occasional wreck are part of CX (and MTB, and riding the roads in less than ideal weather). Scars add character, and repair skills are good skills to have.

#17 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

I'm also a beginner in the O'fallon MO area. The trails that have been suggested above are Bangert Island, Creve Coeur, Queeny, Forest Park.

1. Would Broemmelsiek also be a good beginner trail or is it too rocky?
2. Where exactly is the Forest Park CX trail? (I work downtown, so this could be a good before/after work ride for me)
3. Which trails in Castlewood are appropriate (not many obstacles, more riding, less carrying)?

4. How long does sit-bone pain last (i.e. when will I be able to ride decent distances more than once every two weeks)?
I like propulsion.

#18 geo

geo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

4) Are you new to riding in general?  I assume so given the sit bone comment.  I would suggest hours spent on road would help with that as well.  If you have the funds investing in a cheap set of wheels so and putting road tires on it is a good way to start.  Unless, of course, you have a road bike as well.  Switching tires is a pain and I just prefer not to wear out my CX tires on tarmac.  And I think the answer to your question is it varies.  If it doesn't go away in a month or so and you are riding a couple times a week then maybe your saddle doesn't like your butt.  Then go talk to your LBS about a new saddle.  Or, my advice is to buy cheap used or borrow saddles until you find one you like before you go drop some serious dough on one.  In lieu of that Fizik usually has a loaner program through it's vendors.  I believe Bontrager and Specialized have a testing period where you can exchange saddles, but don't know the details exactly.  

2)The forest park CX track is over by the skating rink.  Or at least it was when I lived in that area.  

1) I would personally think Broemmelsiek is too rocky, but I am new myself

3) I can't help with Castlewood although would be curious to hear the answer.  I have also been told to check out Creve Coeur and The dirt crit track in VP.  

My responses aren't in order, but you get the point.

#19 zez

zez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

I think Broemmelsiek is too rooty to really have fun on a cx bike but it's probably rideable, making a lop involving pavement, the fields, some of the less technical areas and a creek crossing for dismounting might be fun though.

Indian Camp Creek might be another place to try but it's been a while since I've been there and can't remember much detail.

#20 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

I hit up Queeny Park today. The gravel trails were cool and the horse sections were better (more what I was looking for).

I'm going to check out Creve Coeur tomorrow. I watched a video on you tube of someones ride. Most of it looked perfect for my CX bike. There were a few sections that would need to be taken slower or dismount. But isn't that part of cyclocross?

I'll return with a review after/if I make it out there.
I like propulsion.

#21 zez

zez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:55 AM

Ive rode all of bootlegger run on my cx bike and i suck. The worst part was that my hands were killing me from braking, that part is much easier on the flatbar mtb.

#22 curtiseddie

curtiseddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

I took both bikes out today (mtb & cx) to Creve Coeur Bootleggers run trail. I rode the mtb first to get a feel and check out if I was going to be able to do the cx bike. First I want to say, Bootlegger trail is a lot of fun! It is fast and "flowy." I had a blast.

Obviously the mtb was more comfortable (wide bars larger tires & front suspension), but the cx bike was fine. It was nimble enough and fast on the climbs and straightaways, that I wouldn't hesitate to ride with my mtb buddies. Of course they might want something more technical.

Overall it was a great trail, suited for extreme cyclocross. I like it.

*Conditions note: dry & hard, beginning to have leaf coverage. Be wary of those fast turns.
I saw two separate groups of deer (one with 3 the other with 4) and an owl. Also I think I may have ran over a squirrel. Those mf-ers were out in full force.
I like propulsion.