Rock Hollow Trail in Wildwood

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 fastxl

fastxl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Anyone know if the Rock Hollow Trail in Wildwood is paved? Or is it gravel?

Thanks,
Eric

#2 rockhound

rockhound

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

Is that one of the federally subsidized asphalt trails?

#3 forumhandle

forumhandle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

View Postfastxl, on 01 August 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

Anyone know if the Rock Hollow Trail in Wildwood is paved? Or is it gravel?

Thanks,
Eric
The one that runs from Ridge Meadows Elementary School to the Al Foster?  It's paved.

#4 fastxl

fastxl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Yeah, thats the one. Starts at Ridge Meadows Elementary. I have seen while riding on Ridge Rd. and it seems like it would be a nice alternative to Old State Rd. Is Al Fosters paved or gravel? Thanks for the reply.

#5 sai

sai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

View Postfastxl, on 01 August 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

Yeah, thats the one. Starts at Ridge Meadows Elementary. I have seen while riding on Ridge Rd. and it seems like it would be a nice alternative to Old State Rd. Is Al Fosters paved or gravel? Thanks for the reply.

Rock Hollow Trail is paved but Al Fosters to Glencoe is gravel, so if you want pavement, it's a down and back.  It's a super nice strip of asphalt with these crazy awesome bridges, worth a look.

#6 jfp

jfp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

Christine is right about the Al Foster trail, that part is not paved.   But I do know a few people that have ridden that section of the Al Foster on their skinny tires to avoid riding up Old State.   It's Katy Trail like so tolerable for a mile.
John Peiffer

#7 forumhandle

forumhandle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

View Postfastxl, on 01 August 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

The Al Foster is made of a pea gravel type base, and is very similar to the Katy Trail (in my opinion).  Dusty in the summer, soft after the spring thaw or a big rain, etc.  It turns into a paved trail as you get closer to 109, and that runs up to the Woods & 109 intersection.  You should be ok with a road bike this time of year unless it just got done raining 3".

I've ridden Old State between 109 & Manchester, but wouldn't recommend going further south than Eagle Ridge (minimal sight lines around the corners and lack of shoulders between there and 109).

#8 djimgo reinhardt

djimgo reinhardt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

does anyone actually call it by that name?  it's been known for decades as zombie road.
If you don't know Jorma, you don't know Jack.

#9 rfrench

rfrench

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

Road down Rock Hollow to Al Foster; then went past the mini train station to, I think 109, with my road bike.  It was dry so riding it wasn't too bad at all.

#10 craigh

craigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

On a related note, does anybody know the status of the planned MTB trail along the paved trail?

#11 forumhandle

forumhandle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

View Postcraigh, on 05 August 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

On a related note, does anybody know the status of the planned MTB trail along the paved trail?
Last I heard, the various municipalities involved were still working on the funding (the majority of the trail is supposedly going to be built by contractors), and GORC has two workdays planned for it this fall  (Link.)   I can't remember if St. Louis County is getting another AmeriCorps group in to help like they did earlier in the year.

#12 fastxl

fastxl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hit it yesterday on part of this loop. Not to bad on the skinny tires. Thannks all for the replies.

Eric

My Loop from Yesterday