Steepest street in St. Louis?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#31 e_k

e_k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

Because sooner or later someone had to do it:
steepest street in st louis?

Other maps from other people about the same thing:
road climbs around st. louis by dave

famous st louis cycling hills by steve
----------------------------------------
@silkychrome
http://silkychrome.blogspot.com

#32 cleeland

cleeland

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

View Post2Ninr, on 08 February 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

View Postcleeland, on 08 February 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

View Post2Ninr, on 07 February 2011 - 03:20 PM, said:

That hill coming out on the closed part of old Gravois beind Maritz is purty steep.
Gravois & Maritz?  Aren't those a few miles apart?
         The road that is closed at the back of lower buder park. sorry if it confused you.
Ah, okay.  While that hill is definitely steep, it's not anywhere close to as steep or as long as some of the others that have been mentioned, even on the last lap of a cross race.
Winner in absentia: '09 Moonlight Ramble

#33 stlouismtbiker

stlouismtbiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Nobody's mentioned Woodland Meadows, off of 100 between Melrose and Glencoe. That's seems pretty steep, but probably not as steep as some of these hills being talked about.

According to Ride With GPS, Woodland Meadows hits 19.4%

The steepest hill I've been up on a road bike is Doolittle Hill Road in southern Indiana, hits about 25% midway up the 0.7 mile climb, the closest thing to that in St. Louis seems to be the Scenic Loop Road in Greensfelder

Edited by stlouismtbiker, 08 February 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#34 2Ninr

2Ninr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

View Postcleeland, on 08 February 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

View Post2Ninr, on 08 February 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

View Postcleeland, on 08 February 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

View Post2Ninr, on 07 February 2011 - 03:20 PM, said:

That hill coming out on the closed part of old Gravois beind Maritz is purty steep.
Gravois & Maritz?  Aren't those a few miles apart?
         The road that is closed at the back of lower buder park. sorry if it confused you.
Ah, okay.  While that hill is definitely steep, it's not anywhere close to as steep or as long as some of the others that have been mentioned, even on the last lap of a cross race.
           That hill is short but steep. I just go by the gear I have to use to climb it, I would like to have one of the gadgets that measures the pitch- altometer? Maybe I should get a speedometer first. WHat kind do you guys all think I should get and where is the best place to buy one? Do they have different ones for single speed, FS, 1x9, cross bike, etc. or will one work for all bikes?

Edited by 2Ninr, 09 February 2011 - 08:11 AM.

#35 thrasher

thrasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

View Poststlouismtbiker, on 08 February 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

Nobody's mentioned Woodland Meadows, off of 100 between Melrose and Glencoe. That's seems pretty steep, but probably not as steep as some of these hills being talked about.

According to Ride With GPS, Woodland Meadows hits 19.4%

The steepest hill I've been up on a road bike is Doolittle Hill Road in southern Indiana, hits about 25% midway up the 0.7 mile climb, the closest thing to that in St. Louis seems to be the Scenic Loop Road in Greensfelder

Was just going to add this one - it is a through (but private) street, and is steeper going in the Melrose to Old Manchester (heading North) direction.  I'm pretty sure it goes over 20% and is pretty much the same grade as Greensfelder Scenic Loop (which must be ridden against the one-way "traffic" to get full effect).

Team Seagal's Death by Hills annual ride includes both of these back-to-back.  It's about time for leg shredding.

#36 JerryW

JerryW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

View Poste_k, on 08 February 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

famous st louis cycling hills by steve

I like Steve's comments on the Pere Marquette Park climb. I had my little heart attack on it back in 2000 and still managed to not only make it to the top, but ride back to Alton.  :(

#37 ThatCyclingGuy

ThatCyclingGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

What about the south end of Warson Rd where it meets Warson Woods?

Or the north end of Ballas Rd where it meets W. Adams?

#38 klages

klages

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

I just now read through this topic.  Lots of good suggestions.  Some less so, but still nice roads with good gradients.  I certainly won't claim to know the steepest.

I do know that Tower Rd is never a road that I relish climbing from either direction with several other tough rollers/small hills on the same road to soften the legs for later in the ride.  Wedde Rd, too, is rather nasty.

The highest gradients I have seen on my Garmin (when it was working) was Trout Rd, down by Valmeyer, with %'s in the 23-24 range.

A few roads I don't recall seeing mentioned...

Jensen Hills in Jeffco is quite steep.  Unfortunately it's a dead end and signs saying Private Rd and, I think, No Trespassing make it unhospitable.  

Sugar Loaf in the Columbia area is quite steep.  But, I only climbed it once, so my memory could be playing some tricks.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Blecha Rd in Jeffco.  the road on the left, parallel Hwy 21 is quite difficult.  I always come to a crawl near the top

#39 Beeg

Beeg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Poste_k, on 08 February 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

steepest street in st louis?

Thats the most comprehensive compilation I've seen.  Thanks for sharing.

Tepen Hollow Road in Calhoun County. Not very long but steep.  >20%

http://maps.google.c...038581&t=h&z=15
-BJ Keane
Quantum Mesa Cycles
Damn nice guy

#40 JerryW

JerryW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

Beeg, Never done that one before. Would you happen to know the grade on Ferry Rd where it leaves the Golden Eagle Ferry? Steep plus you need to do it from a standing start.

#41 stlouismtbiker

stlouismtbiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

View Postklages, on 10 February 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

I just now read through this topic.  Lots of good suggestions.  Some less so, but still nice roads with good gradients.  I certainly won't claim to know the steepest.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Blecha Rd in Jeffco.  the road on the left, parallel Hwy 21 is quite difficult.  I always come to a crawl near the top

Blecha looks like a steep one, I've always thought, "that looks like a tough climb" when I see that off Highway 21 on the way back from mountain biking in the Ozarks.

By the way, Cremin's Green is too steep to attempt plowing so it's still snow covered.

#42 Dellphinus

Dellphinus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:38 AM

No one mentioned Springfield Street in Grafton Illinois.  It is much steeper than Graham Hollow or Scenic Drive in Pere Marquette.   Google Maps does not show it as a through road, but it is- connects with Rowling Ridge Road to the north (and is paved the entire way).  You can then take Power Line Road to Marquette Park and connect with Graham Hollow or Scenic Drive (via mailbox Road).  GREAT training loops.
N. Springfield Street Grafton I

#43 campiello zen

campiello zen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

View PostDellphinus, on 13 February 2011 - 06:38 AM, said:

No one mentioned Springfield Street in Grafton Illinois.  It is much steeper than Graham Hollow or Scenic Drive in Pere Marquette.   Google Maps does not show it as a through road, but it is- connects with Rowling Ridge Road to the north (and is paved the entire way).  You can then take Power Line Road to Marquette Park and connect with Graham Hollow or Scenic Drive (via mailbox Road).  GREAT training loops.
N. Springfield Street Grafton I
Two roads in the Metro East that can't quite compete with Alton but that are worth mentioning: Old Bunkum Road just east of 157 (near Fairview Heights and O'Fallon), and the east end of Haury Road just before it intersects with Weil Rd. (O'Fallon)

#44 S&M

S&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Does anyone know the incline for the backway up Marshall (by the apartments, runs along the swimming pool)? It "feels" almost as steep as the Lone Elk park scenic loop mentioned earlier.

M

#45 jeffko77

jeffko77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostS&M, on 13 February 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

Does anyone know the incline for the backway up Marshall (by the apartments, runs along the swimming pool)? It "feels" almost as steep as the Lone Elk park scenic loop mentioned earlier.

M
Steep Yes, but short.  On my Garmin, I saw about 18% during one of the 2 kickups. According to the maps, the average is 11% on that hill. Measurements from the map show 125ft of elevation change in .125 mi. which is closer to 19%.

Nice way to blow up quick.

Jeff

Edited by jeffko77, 14 February 2011 - 12:19 PM.