2006 Tour Route

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vindicator

Vindicator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:12 AM

The 2006 Route is out.

Biggest change I spot is no TTT.

Two of the mountaintop finishes are back to back, that should be fun.

http://www.letour.fr...s/parcours.html

#2 harristkj

harristkj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:34 AM

Vindicator, on Oct 27 2005, 07:12 AM, said:

Biggest change I spot is no TTT.
Gee would that benefit French teams! I think so.

#3 CyclingStemCell

CyclingStemCell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:50 AM

Not being a huge cycling-event-watcher, I have to say I'm really disappointed about no team trial.  While I'm pretty new to the whole thing, there is a unique beauty about the TTT and the incredible coordination of the teams in that event.  It's really kind of unlike anything else and I'll really miss watching it.

Any thoughts on whether this might hurt Basso's chances next year since CSC was so dominant in last year's TTT (and Discovery will probably weaken without the Man)?  I don't know about the rest of you but I'm really hoping Basso wins it next year.
Life's three essential fluids: coffee beforehand, gatorade during, and beer afterwards.

#4 phawley

phawley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

...without true time gaps being allowed in the TdF TTT, the inclusion was not going to help anyone too much. Big gaps need to be made in the mts.

In other news, ASO (who put the F in French) are still smarting by having been thrashed 7 yrs in a row by a Yank!

In an extraordinary mission statement by Amaury Sport Organisations's deputy managing director Jean-Marie LeBlanc and director of cycling Christian Prudhomme, the pair said in their introduction to the 2006 event:

"On the 24th of July we turned the page on a long, very long chapter in the history of the Tour de France. And one month later, current events made it clear to us that it was just as well that this was so."

It could only be a reference to seven-time Tour winner Armstrong, and the subsequent doping allegations published in the ASO-owned L'Equipe newspaper that came out one month later (see report).

In a peerlessly French and equally ambiguous sermon, they continued: "Does this justify closing the entire book and erasing all the emotions that, for so many years, the Tour and its champions have provided us with?

"Taken as a whole, judged on its lifelong worth - like an artist or a poet - and in particular on its future productions, we want to believe that the Tour de France deserves a better fate. The dream that it embodies, the values that it is capable of generating mean that it has a duty to be able to hold its head up in pride."

#5 CyclingStemCell

CyclingStemCell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:04 AM

I see your point about the "true time gaps" but last year, for example, 28 seconds of Basso's 1:41 margin over Ullrich were accounted for by the TTT.  In a closely contested tour (which next year's might be without Armstrong) it seems conceivable that the loss of the TTT might be a disadvantage for someone like Basso (on a very strong TTT team like CSC)  versus Vino or someone else whose team may not be nearly as good in the TTT.  Maybe I'm just using fuzzy math. . .

Also, nice comments by the French.  Jesus Christ, I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt (with all the French-bashing the last few years) then they go and say something that outrageous.  JackA**es.
Life's three essential fluids: coffee beforehand, gatorade during, and beer afterwards.

#6 phawley

phawley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

CyclingStemCell, on Oct 27 2005, 09:04 AM, said:

I see your point about the "true time gaps" but last year, for example, 28 seconds of Basso's 1:41 margin over Ullrich were accounted for by the TTT.  In a closely contested tour (which next year's might be without Armstrong) it seems conceivable that the loss of the TTT might be a disadvantage for someone like Basso (on a very strong TTT team like CSC)  versus Vino or someone else whose team may not be nearly as good in the TTT.  Maybe I'm just using fuzzy math. . .
True...I was just thinking that if Basso needs an extra 60 seconds, he could make them up in a mt. stage, and wouldn't have to worry about the lack of the TTT "time bonus", but I see your point, as well.

CyclingStemCell, on Oct 27 2005, 09:04 AM, said:

Also, nice comments by the French. JackA**es.
I believe you mean JacquesA**es! ;)

#7 Dr. T

Dr. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:32 PM

Gee would that benefit French teams! I think so.

Yes, they're trying to draw up a course that heavily favors the French contenders.  Oh wait... there are no french contenders!
I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on the stlbiking message board.

#8 azta110790

azta110790

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:43 PM

The TTT wasn't worth having if no one can gain more than 10 seconds anyway.  However, this route looks like it favors Jan Ullrich with the two long ITT's.  Basso or Ulrich will win.

-Austin

p.s. No Ventoux??? :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

#9 azta110790

azta110790

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:53 PM

The French can "snub" Lance all they want, but he still won seven yearts in a row, and they still don't have a GC rider.

-Austin

p.s. They haven't had a GC rider for over tweny years. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: