NO BRAKES!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 marc

marc

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

Today I took my front brake off my track bike. I put new handlebars on my bike and thought why put my brake on I never use it. I feel now that if I really have to stop I can. Has anyone else come to this point and did the same thing? Is this a stupid move?

#2 cleeland

cleeland

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

I stopped wearing my helmet today.  I figured that the helmet was 4 years old and even though I'd gone down a couple of times over that period, the helmet was never the thing that took the impact, so I'm sure I won't need it in the future either.
Winner in absentia: '09 Moonlight Ramble

#3 oldfatguy

oldfatguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

View Postmarc, on Jan 15 2008, 02:11 PM, said:

Today I took my front brake off my track bike. I put new handlebars on my bike and thought why put my brake on I never use it. I feel now that if I really have to stop I can. Has anyone else come to this point and did the same thing? Is this a stupid move?

YES.

There was a bike race held for something like 25-30 consecutive years here in STL.  It was called the Wuchter Memorial Criterium.  It was named for George Wuchter who had the same idea as you.  He died in a car/bike crash that he could have avoided if he had a brake on his fixed gear bike.
The older I get, the faster I was. ;)

#4 Adrienne

Adrienne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

View Postcleeland, on Jan 15 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

I stopped wearing my helmet today.  I figured that the helmet was 4 years old and even though I'd gone down a couple of times over that period, the helmet was never the thing that took the impact, so I'm sure I won't need it in the future either.
:lol:

#5 aaron hinni

aaron hinni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

If it is a track bike, and you are riding it on a track, it is safer for the other people on the track if you don't have any brakes.  So YES, this is a good idea.

Now if you are taking the front brake off of your fixed gear commuter bike and riding where there might be something in the way that would make you want to stop in a hurry, like a car for instance... then taking your brake off would be silly.

#6 marc

marc

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

View Postcleeland, on Jan 15 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

I see your point. Let me start by saying I'm one of these riders that would never think about getting on my bike without a helmet and I use a bike mirror that is attached to my glasses. When I ride in the early morning hours or after dark I use a front head light, two blinking lights on the back of my bike, a blinking light that goes around my leg, and a head lamp. I'm sure it is over kill but I don't care. I have been riding my fixed gear for a couple of years now and I haven't used my front brake since I started learning how to ride it. I still might put my brake back on because it isn't hurting anything having it on. I had a car pull out in front of me a couple of months ago. Instead of reaching for the front brake my first reaction was to skid stop. That was what I did and I didn't run into the idiot that cut me off.

#7 marc

marc

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

View Postoldfatguy, on Jan 15 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postmarc, on Jan 15 2008, 02:11 PM, said:

YES.

There was a bike race held for something like 25-30 consecutive years here in STL.  It was called the Wuchter Memorial Criterium.  It was named for George Wuchter who had the same idea as you.  He died in a car/bike crash that he could have avoided if he had a brake on his fixed gear bike.

I just went down in my basement and put my front brake back on. Thats all I needed to here. Thanks!

#8 FattyM

FattyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

There's no way skid-stopping is faster than a brake.  And if you were able to skid-stop the car couldn't have been that close to you.

Dumbest fad ever.

#9 sam-peloton

sam-peloton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

The first thing I do when I sell a fixed gear is ask what front brake would they like to add to it.  Not all do it, but I try.  Just like a car 70% or so of your stopping power is from the front wheel, braking with your rear wheel only is not very effective in comparison.  There has been a handfull of people hit by cars lately if you look through these threads, and they all had brakes.
And if something does happen, someone might point the finger at you for not having a brake(liability issue), While a skidding track stop might be effective it is not legaly considered a brake, a brake is a mechanical device.  
     We all take a certain amount of risk when we ride. And we all make our own choices.  Make your own, and ride!
sam
peloton cyclery
sam
peloton cyclery

#10 universalcode

universalcode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

brakes are for losers who like to stop!
-This space intentionally left blank.

#11 oldfatguy

oldfatguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:57 AM

Yeah who needs brakes, they only slow you down. ;)
The older I get, the faster I was. ;)

#12 bergheger3

bergheger3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

I ride a fixie and I also have a front brake.  I don't use it, but I like knowing it is there if I do ever need it.  I also put a brake on because someone told me it is a State law that all bikes shall have brakes.  I don;t know if this is true or not, I never looked it up.